It doesn't matter ...... where you live
It doesn't matter ...... who you live with
It doesn't matter ...... how many times it has happened

You have the right to live safely in your home







practical info

what help can you get?

safety plans

risk assessment



about the project


police mou






what else is


other projects

other states


does it work?

practical info     


what help can you get?

Will the police protect you? What will happen to your partner?  

  • In NSW if a person is violent towards their partner, they can be removed from the family home. Police called to a domestic violence incident can remove the violent partner, or you can ask the Court for an order that the violent partner is removed.

  • An Apprehended Domestic Violence Order can prohibit access by the violent partner to the home.  If this is breached, tell the police because it can be a serious offence.

  • You can get a crisis payment from Centrelink if you are experiencing domestic violence and want to stay in your home but need money. You have to be eligible for Centrelink payments to receive this. Talk to Centrelink.

  • You can get counselling from a Victims of Crime Counsellor and even financial compensation

  • The violent partner can get crisis accommodation called temporary accommodation from the Department of Housing, financial assistance from Centrelink if they are eligible, and counselling support from Family Support or Mensline.

  • We can provide improved security such as an alarm phone to make the family home safer.

  • It helps if you develop a SAFETY PLAN for yourself and your children (and pets). You can talk to a counsellor about this.  

safety plans
click here to download a booklet on planning for your safety.


You can download and print an  order form if you would like to buy printed copies of the safety booklet. Post your order and cheque to :
   SEWACS Inc.
   Bega Staying Home Leaving Violence Project
   PO Box 921 Bega NSW 2550


click here to download our 'Safe Around Me' App


risk assessment

The point of risk assessment is for you to think about your own safety. Itís a case by case situation. Each person and family is different. No one knows your circumstances better than yourself. The most common indicator that someone will be violent is that they have been violent before. But the assessment is not about the violent person, itís about do you feel safe? You have to make a considered choice about the situation. This is a process you should do with someone else, preferably someone skilled.  

This is not a risk assessment, but here are some things to consider: 

  • Does your ex/partner have a history of violence?

  • Does he have any respect for the law?

  • Does he have access to weapons?

  • Do you have good support network that will stick by you?

  • Do you feel confident in your local police?

  • Do you feel attached to your home and want to stay there?

  • What do your children feel about the situation?

  • Think about your future: can you afford to stay?

apprehended violence orders

click here to download a booklet on domestic apprehended violence orders



links  ~  for state wide SHLV information and location sites     ~  for advice about the law   ~  for victim compensation information    ~  for research into staying home safely

links to the other pilots   ~  information about the ACT Family Violence Intervention Program).